Friday, June 13, 2008

The Habeas Vote and It's Implications

While the U.S. Constitution was hanging by a thread, four justices held the scissors waiting to clip away one of the Constitution's most fundamental rights. Though relieved and proud that our system managed to roll back just one of Bush's tyrannical policies, one should look with alarm at the implications of this year's elections.

Regardless what your opinion is on the right to choose, universal health care, tax cuts, etal., there is nothing more dangerous to our Republic at this point than the election of John McCain. Admitting that the kind of justices he would appoint are of the type of Thomas and Alito, this election will determine whether future executives will have any substantial check upon their power by the judiciary.

Scalia in his dissenting opinion broadened the definition of war to the point, that we will always be in one. Can you imagine such an opinion becoming legal precedent? The implications it sets forth are greatly disturbing. The Yoo doctrine, that the commander in cheif has unchecked power during war time, incents a power hungry executive into on-going conflicts, and defining them as war.

Will Utahns, seeing the Constitution hanging from a thread, decide to preserve it by supporting Barak Obama, or will they collectively hold their scissors and give the go ahead, to "clip away."

6 comments:

Urban Koda said...

Interesting use of language in that last paragraph... "Hanging by a thread".

I suspect Utahn's in general will just drink the collective Kool-Aid and vote along 'approved' Church party lines. Sad as that may be.

Obi wan liberali said...

It is hopeful that such a term might resonate with people. But then again? Most Utahns have been prime enablers of the law-breaking, Constitution thrashing, Bush Administration.

Frank Staheli said...

I was actually rather surprised by Scalia's comments. I'd like to think that he had good reason for them (and I need to spend some time researching his opinion), but I'm afraid his logic is illogical.

John McCain would be a huge mistake, because he would carry on the Bush "legacy". But Obama wouldn't be much better.

When I see the Constitution hanging by a thread, it's not Obama that I look to. It's Ron Paul. Now that he's out of the race, I'll vote either Constitution or Libertarian party, and I've already joined the Campaign for Liberty, so that hopefully four years from now (1) we'll still have a Constitution, and (2) we'll be in a much better situation than we have been for the last several presidential election cycles.

Urban Koda said...

Thanks for that link Frank! I just signed up as well, and then got to see my name flash up on the home page for a second or 2.

Back to the topic at hand though... I have found that many people claim to value freedom for themselves, but don't trust others to use it wisely. I'm not sure where the distrust of our fellowman has come from, although I have some ideas, but I think if we can cure that, we'll be a lot closer to getting some of these problems fixed.

Obi wan liberali said...

Obviously Frank, I think Obama would be a major improvement. Though Obama sees a legitimate role for government, he does seem to understand just how important that the government is subject to appropriate oversight.

If there is one lasting legacy of the Bush Administration, is their willingness to break the law, and cover their tracks in a veil of secrecy, utilizing an enabling and weak press.

At a foundational level, I don't see Obama in that light. What he wants, is government to function better with appropriate oversight and transperancy. That is a 180 degree change from the legacy of the Cheney/Bush administration and what we would get from John McCain.

Urban Koda said...

I see Obama as a quite a significant improvement over the current administration and indeed over politics in general - at least I am hopeful he is.

As I have said before. In online surveys where they try and match my take on issues with the candidates, Ron Paul and I were always with 5% of each other and Obama and I were generally only about 5% in agreement.

Differences aside though, I think Obama, I and likely most Americans are looking for the same results, perhaps just achieving those in different ways.

My optimism was further increased when I heard him announce that he had gotten the DNC to agree that Special Interest Groups and Lobbyists would not be contributing to his campaign. To me that speaks volumes to his desire to change the face of how things are done currently.

Ideally I would like to see Obama up against someone like Ron Paul. Two men with class and with a desire for a better America, not just out to make a name for themselves and support their friends and personal interests.

It would be nice to be able to choose between the plans of two great men, than go through what I fear will be a very dirty and nasty campaign between Obama and McCain.